What Are the Most Common Types of Home Insurance Policies?

You bought your dream home. Now all you have to do is insure it.

You may have heard of a dozen types of home insurance policies. Each one sounds better than the last.

However, the truth is that there are only a couple of home insurance policies you need.

Take a look at this guide to learn about the most common types of home insurance policies. Then you can find the right one for your home.

HO-1: One of the Most Basic Types of Home Insurance

This type of policy covers your home against eleven different perils. These include fire, windstorms, hail, lightning, smoke, and more.

It also provides coverage for your personal belongings inside of your home. The HO-1 policy is a great way to get started with homeowners insurance, but it does have some limitations.

For example, it does not cover flooding or earthquakes. If you live in an area that is prone to these types of natural disasters, you will need to buy a separate policy or endorsement to get protected.

HO-2: Broad Form

HO-2 insurance is one of the most common types of home insurance. HO2 insurance covers the dwelling, other structures on the property, and personal property inside the home. It also provides liability coverage if someone gets injured on the property.

There are several things that an HO-2 insurance policy does not cover. Examples of these are flood damage, earthquake damage, and intentional damage.

If you live in an area that is prone to floods or earthquakes, you will need to buy extra insurance to cover these risks. Additionally, if you damage your property, your insurance company will not pay for the repairs.

HO-3: Special Form

An HO-3 type of home insurance policy is the most common type of policy. It provides named perils coverage for the structure of your home and personal property coverage for your belongings.

HO3 policies also provide liability coverage if someone gets injured on your property. This type of insurance has more coverage compared to HO-1 and HO-2.

There are some things that the HO-3 doesn’t cover. One of the biggest things is flooding. If your home is in a high-risk flood zone, you’ll need to buy a separate flood insurance policy for protection.

HO-3 insurance also doesn’t cover earthquakes, landslides, sinkholes, or mudslides. If you live in an area that’s prone to any of these natural disasters, you’ll need to get a separate policy. HO-3 insurance is a great type of coverage, but it’s important to be aware of its limitations.

HO-4: Contents Broad Form

The HO-4 is also called renters insurance. It is a type of insurance coverage that protects renters from financial losses as a result of damage to their rental property. This type of policy can protect the contents of your rental unit, as well as any of your personal belongings inside of it.

It can also give you liability coverage if someone gets injured while they are on your property. Some HO4 policies will also cover extra living expenses if the home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event.

HO-5: Comprehensive Form

The HO5 is a special home insurance policy that provides protection for your home and belongings against a wide range of risks. It’s the most popular and comprehensive homeowner’s insurance policy available.

This home insurance covers your home and its contents against perils such as fire, windstorm, theft, and vandalism. It also provides coverage for your personal belongings, including electronics, furniture, and clothing.

If you have valuable items such as jewelry or art, you can buy extra coverage to protect these items. The HO5 policy also provides liability coverage if someone suffers an injury on your property.

HO-6: Unit-owners Form

The HO-6 is an insurance policy for owners of condominiums, townhouses, and cooperative apartments. It is sometimes also referred to as the condo policy.

The HO-6 policy covers the individual unit owner’s personal property. This also includes any improvements and betterments they have made to their unit. The policy also provides liability coverage for the unit owner.

There are some things that an HO-6 policy will not cover. These include wear and tear, theft, vandalism, and damage caused by animals.

Your HO-6 policy also will not cover any business activities that you conduct from your home. If you have a home-based business, you will need to buy a separate business insurance policy.

HO-7: Mobile Home Form

An HO-7 policy is a specialized home insurance policy for mobile homes. It is also known as a manufactured home insurance policy. This type of policy is different from a regular homeowners policy because it is specifically designed to protect mobile homes.

Mobile homes are more vulnerable to certain types of damage, such as wind damage than regular homes. An HO-7 policy covers the same types of perils as a regular homeowners policy, but it also includes coverage for wind damage.

HO-7 insurance policies cover a specific set of risks, leaving out other potential risks. This can be a problem if you experience a loss that isn’t covered by your policy.

For example, if a flood damages your home, your policy most likely won’t cover the damage. It’s important to understand what your policy does and does not cover so that you can make sure you’re protected.

HO-8: Modified Coverage Form

HO-8 insurance is a type of home insurance policy for older homes. It covers dwellings, personal property, and liability.

The dwelling coverage is for the physical structure of the home, and the personal property coverage is for the contents of the home. Liability coverage protects the policyholder from lawsuits arising from injuries or damage to others on the property.

Pick the Right Type of Insurance for Your Needs

Your home is one of the most important investments you’ll make in your lifetime. That’s why it’s crucial to have the right types of home insurance policy in place.

To find the best policy for your needs, be sure to compare rates and coverage options from a variety of insurers. If unsure, get in touch with experts for further help.

Check out the rest of our blog posts for more real estate and insurance content!

Similar Articles




Most Popular